Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions concerning Ram Orientation and visiting CSU. If you have additional questions please contact Orientation and Transition Programs at (970) 491-6011 or

Do I need to attend an orientation program?

Yes! As a new CSU student, attending an orientation program is required. In addition, attending Ram Orientation is the best way to guarantee that you receive quality advising and are able to register for classes. Colorado State University faculty and staff will be available and prepared to assist you at these sessions. If you come to campus unannounced, we cannot guarantee that these services will be available. New transfer students attend an orientation program to facilitate a positive and successful transition to Colorado State University.

When does orientation begin and end?

For our one day orientation sessions check-in begins at 7:45am and the program concludes by 5pm. For the overnight orientation session check-in begins at 7:45am on day 1 and concludes by noon on day 2.

How do I register for Ram  Orientation?

You can make your reservation entirely online. It is important to first sign-up for your electronic identification (eID).

What should I bring to my Ram  Orientation session?

  • An unofficial transcript that includes your current term classes
  • Immunization information & insurance questions (please visit for more information)
  • A photo ID
  • Comfortable clothing and shoes for walking

How do I register for classes?

At Ram Orientation you will meet with an advisor who will explain our registration system, our core curriculum, and will help you to determine what courses would work well in your schedule. You are free to use a computer on campus to register or do so on your own after the session.

Can family and friends attend as well?

Yes! Guests are welcome to come along and participate in Ram Orientation. In fact, we've incorporated a separate schedule to provide information commonly sought by family and other guests. A charge of $30 per person is charged to family members and other guests who attend.

After I have made a reservation for orientation, what else do I need to do?

Now that your registration has been confirmed, there are 3 steps you need to complete to prepare for your Ram Orientation session.

Step 1: Mail final transcripts from ALL previously attended institutions.

Step 2: Determine if you need to take the Mathematics Placement Exam, the Composition Placement/Challenge Exam, or a Foreign Language Exam. Click here to access information on Placement Exams and make arrangements according to your needs.

Step 3: Complete the CSU Health Network Checklist.

Please follow the directions provided, completing all necessary tasks by the required dates: 

Does my enrollment deposit cover my orientation charge?

Yes, the enrollment deposit covers the student's one-day Ram Orientation program and meals with the program. If you have not paid your enrollment deposit make sure to do so at

All new undergraduate students (first-year and transfer) must pay the New Student Enrollment Deposit prior to registering for first semester courses. This one-time deposit of $300 is broken down in these categories:

  • Ram Orientation
  • Ram Welcome
  • RamCard
  • Deposit on Tuition

For a sample student billing statement, visit Student Financial Services at: and click on Student Billing Statements under the Paying Your Bill tab.  If you have additional questions about the New Student Enrollment Deposit or the Student Billing Statement, contact Student Financial Services at (970) 491-6321.

Is there a shuttle service from Denver International Airport (DIA) to Fort Collins?

Green Ride is available to take you from the airport to Fort Collins. For more information about booking and costs, call (970) 226-5533 or visit them online at

What's the best way to get around campus?

Transfort, Fort Collins' bus system, is free for all full fee-paying students. Transfort has convenient schedules, several stops on campus, and reaches many of the city's outlying areas. To use Transfort, students must present their student bus pass available for pick-up at the Transfort Information Center in the Lory Student Center or at the Campus Information Center located in the Lory Student Center. Call Transfort at (970) 221-6620 for more information.

Vehicles on Campus:
Although a car is not needed to get around campus, students may park on campus. Parking permits are required in all campus parking lots and can be purchased at University Parking Services at their office at the Lake Street Garage, more information is available online at A State of Colorado emissions test is required for all student vehicles. For further information about parking and emissions requirements, call (970) 491-7041.

Bicycle Registration:
Bicycles are definitely popular on campus! You must register your bike with the Colorado State University Police Department, located in 201 Green Hall, for a $15 charge. For more information, call the University Police Department at (970) 491-6425.

If you have questions...

Please email Orientation and Transition Programs at, or call us at (970) 491-6011.