Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions concerning Ram Orientation and visiting CSU. If you have additional questions please contact Orientation and Transition Programs at (970) 491-6011 or

Do I need to attend an orientation program?

Yes! As a new CSU student, attending an orientation program is required. Along with many other activities at Ram Orientation, you will meet with an academic advisor and register for your first semester classes. For your first registration experience at Colorado State University, actually meeting with an advisor is invaluable in selecting the right courses.  If you have any questions or concerns, or have extenuating circumstances that may prevent attendance at any offered orientation date, please call our office at (970) 491-6011.


What should I bring with to Ram Orientation?

  • eName username and password
  • Test results from any Advanced Placement Exams that you have taken (if available)
  • Immunization information & insurance questions (please visit for more information)
  • Valid U.S. government-issued photo ID (state ID, driver's license, or military ID) or passport to get a RamCard
  • Comfortable clothing and shoes for traveling across campus
  • A water bottle
  • Your questions! Take some time before you arrive to list the things you really want to know about Colorado State

What do I need to take care of during my orientation session?

  • Get your RamCard (student ID). You will need your driver's license, passport or military ID.
  • Meet with an academic advisor and register for classes.
  • Visit the CSU Bookstore in the Lory Student Center and complete a textbook reservation form.
  • Meet other new students!

After I have made a reservation for orientation, what else do I need to do?

Now that your registration has been confirmed, there are 3 steps you need to complete to prepare for your Ram Orientation session.

Step 1: Mail final transcripts from ALL previously attended institutions.

Step 2: Determine if you need to take the Mathematics Placement Exam or a Foreign Language Exam and gather your SAT, ACT, TOEFL or other test scores and visit the CSU Composition Placement website at to determine which English Composition course you should take. Click here to access information on Placement Exams and make arrangements according to your needs.

Step 3: Complete the CSU Health Network Checklist

Note some of these requirements cannot be completed until after summer orientation. Please see the linked checklist for all deadlines.

Please follow the directions provided, completing all necessary tasks by the required dates:

What's the best way to get around campus?

Transfort, Fort Collins' bus system, is free for all full fee-paying students. Transfort has convenient schedules, several stops on campus, and reaches many of the city's outlying areas. To use Transfort, students must present their RamCard, which acts as a student bus pass. Call Transfort at (970) 221-6620 for more information.

Vehicles on Campus:
Although a car is not needed to get around campus, students may park on campus. Parking permits are required in all campus parking lots and can be purchased at University Parking Services in the southwest corner of the Lake Street Parking Garage or online at Valid license plates and registration are required for all vehicles parked on campus. For further information about parking on campus, call (970) 491-7041.

Bicycle Registration:
Bicycles are definitely popular on campus! You must register your bike with the Colorado State University Police Department, located in 201 Green Hall, for a $10 charge. For more information, call the University Police Department at (970) 491-6425.

Can family and friends attend as well?

Yes! Parents and family members are welcome to participate in Ram Orientation. In fact, we've incorporated separate sessions to provide information commonly sought by family members and other guests. These sessions are conveniently scheduled when students are attending other sessions, participating in team meetings and social activities, and registering for classes. The guest fee is $95 per person. Younger siblings are charged a fee of $25. If a sibling is attending and serving in the role of a parent/guardian, that sibling will be charged the full $95 orientation charge.

Which placements do I need to take?

Placement exams are designed to place students into CSU courses consistent with their preparation; they are not a condition for admission to Colorado State University. Incoming students (without adequate AP*, IB or transfer credits) are required to take the Mathematics Placement. The Foreign Language Placement is offered but not required for all students. To determine which English Composition course you should take gather your SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE test scores and visit the CSU Composition Placement website at If your program of interest requires CHEM 111 you are also required to take Chem Prep at are able to take all exams online using a personal computer before attending Ram Orientation. Click on the link to access Placement information.

There are charges for each placement examination completed. These charges are not included in the orientation program charge. Exam charges are automatically assessed to the student's account with the University.

Will there still be classes available when I attend my Ram Orientation session?

There will be a wide variety of classes available when you attend Ram Orientation, even if you attend the last session. In fact, every student who attends an orientation session leaves with a full schedule of at least 12 credit hours. However, it is important to note that if you attend an earlier session you will have a wider selection of courses to choose from than those who choose to attend later. Keep in mind that orientation dates are assigned on a first come, first serve basis. We strongly encourage you to reserve a session as soon as possible.

Is there a shuttle service from Denver International Airport (DIA) to Fort Collins?

Groome Transportation is available to take you from the airport to Fort Collins and back. For more information about booking and costs, call (970) 226-5533 or visit them online at

Does my enrollment deposit cover my orientation program?

Yes, the enrollment deposit covers the student's Ram Orientation program, lodging in a residence hall (during summer Ram Orientation), and meals with the program. If you have not paid your enrollment deposit make sure to do so at

All new undergraduate students (first-year and transfer) must pay the New Student Enrollment Deposit prior to registering for orientation. This one-time deposit of $300 is broken down in these categories:

  • Ram Orientation
  • Ram Welcome
  • RamCard
  • Deposit on Tuition

For a sample student billing statement, visit the Office of Financial aid website at: and click on Paying Your Bill under the Costs & Billing tab.  If you have additional questions about the New Student Enrollment Deposit or the Student Billing Statement, contact the Office of Financial Aid at (970) 491-6321.

How can I pay the reservation charge for parents, family members, or guests?

There are two ways to pay for orientation charges. First and most preferred, you can sign-up online using our secure registration system. A credit card is required for online reservations. Call 970-491-6011 if you prefer to pay over the phone.

Does my student need student health insurance?

Click here for more information about student health insurance from the CSU Health Network.

Do I need any additional money while at orientation?

Once you have paid any reservation charges for orientation and overnight lodging, additional expenses should be minimal. Meal tickets are sold on site if you would like to have guests join you for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You may also opt to buy breakfast on Day 1, or lunch on Day 2 (as these are not provided with the program) or purchase merchandise from the CSU Bookstore throughout your stay on campus.

Where can I eat near or on campus?

On-Campus Restaurants:
Inside the Lory Student Center

Off-Campus Restaurants:
For more information about off-campus restaurants visit

More questions?

Please email Orientation and Transition Programs at or call us at (970) 491-6011.